Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MS Composit P51 Mustang
24-01-2009, 20:58
MS Composit P51 Mustang
Quote:Originally posted by David Piper

Getting to the other end of the balance criteria is the tail feathers.

if your worried about tail feathers dont panic my hawks in moult ive got a few spare lol

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
REGISTER or LOGIN to remove this advertisement.
26-01-2009, 22:20
MS Composit P51 Mustang
Final set of pics Exclamation

Foam replaced

Attached Image:
28.9 KB

Finishing tape

Attached Image:
29.93 KB

Planes are meant to crash, otherwise they'd have feathers
Visit this user's websiteFind all posts by this user
26-01-2009, 22:28
MS Composit P51 Mustang
Wings on Exclamation

Attached Image:
32.78 KB

Tail on Exclamation

Attached Image:
29.95 KB

Servo's attached Exclamation

Attached Image:
36.61 KB

Attached Image:
29.94 KB

26-01-2009, 22:33
MS Composit P51 Mustang
Check for battery position on balancer Exclamation

Attached Image:
42.19 KB

Cut battery hole and tidy wire with velcro Exclamation

Attached Image:
37.05 KB

TA DA ....... All finished and ready for maiden Big Grin

Final weight 376g using a 1340mah High model batt

Motor Calc Opinion:
Motor: Hacker A20 26M; 1130rpm/V; 0.8A no-load; 0.117 Ohms.
Battery: Thunder Power TP1320 (ProLite) (13C); 3 cells; 1320mAh @ 3.7V; 0.033 Ohms/cell.
Speed Control: Castle Creations Phoenix 25; 0.0065 Ohms; High rate.
Drive System: APC 9x4.7 SF; 9x4.7 (Pconst=1.79; Tconst=1) direct drive.
Airframe: MS P51 Mustang; 18dm²; 380g; 21.1g/dm²; Cd=0.056; Cl=0.46; Clopt=0.66; Clmax=1.24.
Stats: 368 W/kg in; 245 W/kg out; 5.4m/s stall; 7.4m/s opt @ 46% (78:30, 26°C); 8.9m/s level @ 54% (59:41, 29°C); 10.44m/s @ 90°; -0.81m/s @ -6.2°.

Power System Notes:

At full-throttle and the best lift-to-drag ratio airspeed, the motor is operating approximately between its maximum efficiency current (8.1A) and its current at theoretical maximum output (41.5A). However, it is operating at only 69% efficiency, which is significantly less than its theoretical maximum efficiency (81%). Efficiency may improve at reduced throttle settings.

Aerodynamic Notes:

The static pitch speed (15.1m/s) is within the range of approximately 2.5 to 3 times the model's stall speed (5.4m/s), which is considered ideal for good performance.
With a wing loading of 21.1g/dm², a model of this size will have very sedate flying characteristics. It will be suitable for relaxed flying, in calm or very light wind conditions.
The static thrust (727g) to weight (380g) ratio is 1.91:1, which will result in extremely short take-off runs, no difficulty taking off from grass surfaces (assuming sufficiently large wheels), and vertical climb-outs. This model will probably be able to perform a hover or torque roll.
At the best lift-to-drag ratio airspeed, the excess-thrust (498g) to weight (380g) ratio is 1.31:1, which will give very steep climbs and incredible acceleration. This model can easily do consecutive loops, and has sufficient in-flight thrust for any aerobatic maneuver.

27-01-2009, 21:46
MS Composit P51 Mustang
Just a quick note on the build.

The kit is as basic (simple) as it gets really and could have been built in a few hours if I hadnt done all the routing of the cables etc, however I thought the graphics were worth the extra effort not to spoil them.

Cutting a hole to locate the battery isnt the best idea in the world unless you are sure about the batteries that are going to be used and absolutely positive about the C of G as you are unable to move the battery around. hence the use of a balancer instead of finger tips.

Although I had these 1340 mah packs (116g), I felt a smaller size would have been more suited. However after balancing, it was clear that a smaller (lighter) pack would of needed to be much further forward and there isnt a huge amount of space left, so maybe it was the right choice after all.

The only irritation was the fact that there was a gap left in the tail of the fuz after the tail plane caused by cutting from manufacture which needs a 1 inch x 1 inch by 4mm piece of foam to fill, which wasnt supplied. Its purely decorative so you could use anything, ie balsa, polystyrene etc but it would have been nice if they had put a bit of scrap in the kit for the task.

Other than that , I cant wait to test fly it, and have made serious noises to others that we need a video

28-01-2009, 01:34
MS Composit P51 Mustang
I want a go!

28-01-2009, 15:16
MS Composit P51 Mustang
w#at do you mean serious noises and i can spell its just t#at t#e aitc# button dont work any more lol

"I reject your reality & Substitute my own"
28-01-2009, 17:26
MS Composit P51 Mustang
Quote:I want a go!
John: I Think you have already been nominated as the pilot for the vid Big Grin did we not tell you? Wink

Quote:w#at do you mean serious noises and i can spell its just t#at t#e aitc# button dont work any more lol
Steve: this sounds like a message from beyond, are you hurt, injured or need help in any way....tap twice for yes.... or have you just cyno'd your figures to the keyboard again? Exclamation

28-01-2009, 18:05
MS Composit P51 Mustang
I'm not sure whether to get one of these or a streetracer, be good to hear how it flies and a video would be great.

Returned to flying after a short break

Freeair SU27 Flanker
MS Composite Swift 2
RC Factory RS352
DreamFlight Weasel Black EPP SE
Seagull PC9 Pilatus with OS 55AX
JP Prangster 3d with OS46AX
11-02-2009, 20:55
MS Composit P51 Mustang
Just a few pics from the maiden day out, again very over cast and very COLD. Tony Smith did a great job of flying the aircraft in a scale routine (for the photos) which looked brilliant and with the larger prop even got a nice whoooosh on the fly past's. Later Rarch (who did the first flight and trimming)and John(Giskard) tried to pull its wings off with all sorts of things. Big Grin

Attached Image:
26.89 KB

Attached Image:
15.07 KB

Attached Image:
9.26 KB

Attached Image:
9.26 KB

Attached Image:
11.42 KB

Attached Image:
22.09 KB

All in all this is a great plane and I think just about all it can be with no real vices. Very graceful flown in a scale manor with quite a semi scale realism, and nutty enough for the psychotic.

It is very very stable (we never noticed a stall at all), and although worried about the absence of an undercart, its just not an issue as landings are walking pace with just a gentle drop on the ground, this could easily be a first low wing foam trainer.

P51 or Street Racer? So far I think its the P51 Wink